Wednesday, January 23, 2013

new REDUX line for 2013!



REDUX, sounds like "reduce", sort of, defined as “Brought back; returned. Used postpositively.“ 

     As a potter contributing to the non-degrading mass of ceramics on this planet, it pains me to find mountains of discarded clay-wares landfill-bound simply because they have passed fashion or lost a useful home (see my previous post "Viva Ceramica")  
     All the while I work my tail off to create new ceramics that may too soon face the same demise. I smash up broken or too hideous pieces for mosaics, drainage and ground cover. But there are many plain pots that I can revive into functionality with decals I create from my own designs and fire into these rejected compatriots. 
    The first load was a bit disappointing.  I was able to wipe off the design and some of the glazes bubbled into strange tracks.  Of course some cracked too.  

  I read some articles, consulted some online forums, and took the firing up to a higher cone.  Much better!  Clearly not a perfect process, but it gives me a deeper understanding of the entire process. 

They will be a lower cost product (see my etsy link below)  which is not necessarily the most brilliant business move, but they help alleviate the concern about my own contribution to the indestructible heap.  




Please, tell me what you think!


5 comments:

  1. Love it, Liz! What a great idea! And I love the results. Your peacock, and birds in general, is amazing! And the whale too...OK, I guess I love it all. How do you make your decals?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to buy a laser jet printer because its ink has iron oxide in it. Then I could print on the decal paper, cut them out and stick them on the pots before firing them. Lots of time messing with images in photoshop to make them simple black and white, taking the curve and such out of the original pots/images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for explaining, I couldn't quite figure it out before. Seems time-consuming but the result is great!

      Delete
  3. Love it too! I think they look fantastic too! Are these from salvaged ceramicware that you found at thift stores and such?

    ReplyDelete
  4. sure are! so much plain pottery gets dumped when all it needs is a little revision....

    ReplyDelete